Head of Business Development
Purple Strategies is a corporate reputation and strategy firm that combines the creativity and discipline of brand communications with the speed and strategy of political campaigns to serve Fortune 500 companies, associations, nonprofits and some of the most recognizable brands in the world.
We operate in a highly collaborative environment and apply integrated team-based approaches to help clients:
- ANTICIPATEreputation challenges and opportunities;
- COMPELchange through business actions and transformation;
- NAVIGATEreputation issues, acute crises, key business choices and policy/regulatory changes to inform decision-making.
Purple helps the world’s most important organizations address their toughest challenges.
The Head of Business Development is responsible for creating a sustainable business development process that identifies potential prospects, assists senior leaders in cultivating relationships, and delivers winning proposals and pitches. This person will be asked to immediately evaluate our existing business development process and then execute a plan to ensure the right people, tools, and systems are in place to meet our goals. Additionally, they will work alongside our Head of Marketing to align efforts to create a steady pipeline of qualified leads.
This role will oversee a proposal manager, who will manage and facilitate our proposal development process from qualification, strategy development, presentation/pitch management, proposal writing to follow up. The Head of Business Development will report to the Chief Operating Officer and work closely with other partners and Managing Directors of the firm to communicate Purple’s unique offering with Fortune 500 companies, trade associations and other organizations.
What You’ll Do:
- Create an effective and sustainable business development process that supports the cultivation of relationships and delivers winning proposals and pitches
- Oversee the preparation of pitch decks, proposals, and manage and coordinate RFP responses leveraging internal resources as needed.
- Develop a deep understanding of Purple’s offering and apply that understanding to directly develop content for prospective business opportunities
- Direct a Proposal Manager who will focus on day-to-day needs in generating proposals and pitches; when necessary, provide direct assistance to fulfill those needs.
- Work with internal teams on pricing and resourcing for prospective business opportunities
- Oversee the creation of BD materials such as client case studies, credentials decks, proposals, RFP responses and other materials as needed
- Research the latest issues and trends impacting a target or existing Purple client and executing strategies to develop new business and develop relevant backgrounders as needed
- Support Partners & MDs with the creation of proposals & discussion documents for new business opportunities
What We’re Looking For:
- 15+ years of Business Development experience, preferably in a professional services firm with strong writing skills and attention to detail
- Understanding of how to build and grow successful business development teams at similar professional service organizations
- Ability to manage and grow people on the business development team to support continued growth
- Familiarity and a perspective on best-in-class business development tools including leading CRMs, market research, and lead generation.
- Strong digital skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel)
- Ability to synthesize information quickly, multi-task, prioritize, manage time effectively and pay attention to detail
- Strong problem identification and objections resolution skills
- Exceptional verbal communication and presentation skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Self-motivated, with high energy and an engaging level of enthusiasm